Friday, August 6, 2010

The Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum

I love museums.  It's a not so secret obsession of mine.  They are cool, and quiet, and beautiful.  A perfect place to spend the day during a frigidly cold New England winter or a blazingly hot New England summer.  My hands down favorite in Boston (and there are lots of great museums here) is the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum.  As far as museums go it's a completely unique concept.  Essentially Stewart Gardner loved to travel and collect art and artifacts and decided to build a home/museum where she could showcase her collection the way that she wanted to.  Unlike traditional museums that group artwork from the same time period or of the same style, she decided to group things that she liked together together.  A simple concept that worked out beautifully.  I've been there about a million times and I always see something new because there is just so much to look at.

During the summer the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum hosts what they call "Neighborhood Nights" where they open the museum on three Thursday evenings for free admission.  They also have games for the kids and live music.  Needless to say I go to all three neighborhood nights every summer.  I even bring my trusty blue museum guide (I'm a big nerd like that) so that I can read up on everything that I see.

Unfortunately, you can't take pictures inside of the museum so you'll just have to trust me and go to the museum yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment